San Diego-Imperial Athletics Congress
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Balboa Park Hall of Champions
February 17, 1993
- President Ken Bernard called the meeting to order at 7:11 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Joni Shirley, Jim Skelly, and Peter Stern.
- The Board approved the minutes of the meeting of December 16.
- The President gave the Treasurer's report. The checking account balance was $12,723.04 as of January 9, while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000. Obligations for the Challenge Series remain outstanding.
- The Board discussed the name of the Association in light of the renaming of The Athletics Congress to USA Track & Field. The Board approved a motion by Skelly to state the sense of the Board that the primary identification of the Association should continue to be as San Diego-Imperial, even if the remainder of the name should change to conform. Some guidance may be given by the Association Committee workshop.
- Bache reported that Arnie Robinson will direct the Regional Junior Olympics Track and Field Championships in July. No director has stepped forward for the Association Championships. David Dunbar will be approached.
- Bache reported that the USATF Women's Committee will provide travel funds under the Association Athlete's Development Program through a designated Association Championship. The Board unanimously approved a motion by Stern that SDIAC award the top eligible Association woman runner at the Carlsbad 5000 $200 from this program toward competing in the National Women's 5K Road Championship in Albany NY.
- Bernard reported on two meetings at the San Diego Athletic Club, courtesy of Thom Hunt, concerning the Association Cross Country Team Championships. The series will go from the 4-Mile Cross Country to the Association Championship, with two weeks between events. The Bonita Road Runners will conduct an event, and Movin Shoes, Cuyamaca College, and the Border Patrol sent representatives. The fate of the Aztec Invitational is still unknown. The focus of the series will be the last event, with scoring heavily weighted toward it.
- Skelly reported that the Officials Association conducted a certification clinic January 23, with six or seven prospective officials attending. 58 Officials are certified, and six are in the process of recertification. Skelly also reported on the press conference for the bid for the Women's Olympic Team Selection Trials for the marathon.
- The Board discussed the awards dinner. The date will be set based on availability of athletes. The Board selected the award winners, subject to input following the meeting. The winners are included in the attachments.
- Bernard announced that the final number of members for 1992 was 1036.
- The meeting adjourned at 9:30 p.m.
Web Page Created by Graeme Shirley