San Diego-Imperial Athletics Congress
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Balboa Park Hall of Champions
October 21, 1998
- President Ken Bernard called the meeting to order at 7:45 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Lolitia Bache, Curt Clausen, Arnie Robinson, Jim Skelly, and Elizabeth Tate.
- The Board approved the minutes of the meeting of August 19.
- The President gave the Treasurer's report. The checking account balance was $5188.98 as of October 9, while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000.
- Bernard is writing a column for California Track & Field News on the deaths of Florence Griffith Joyner and Helen Pain. The Board unanimously approved a motion by Ken Bernard to contribute $100 to the Florence Griffith Joyner Memorial Fund. The Board unanimously approved a motion by Lolitia Bache to contribute $100 to a fund being established by the daughter of Helen Pain to fight Leukemia.
- Tate talked about Flo-Jo's death. She is writing an article.
- Clausen, one of the U.S.'s best racewalkers, talked about training at the Olympic Training Center. Dixon Farmer is returning to assume the post of permanent track & field coach at the site.
- The delegation to the National Convention in Orlando was named as Ken Bernard, Jim Cerveny, Curt Clausen, Arnie Robinson, Scott Sargeant, Graeme Shirley, Jim Skelly, and Elizabeth Tate, and possibly Manny Bautista, Adam Henderson, and/or Joni Shirley.
- Bernard informed the Board about the Chuck McMahon endowment for a masters track & field meet and a presentation to the San Diego Track Club which will administer the event.
- Robinson and Tate reported on progress on the Junior Olympics Association and Regional Cross Country Championships and next year's calendar.
- Robinson spoke about grants from the Amateur Athletic Federation of Los Angeles, which granted $5000 to the local youth group. More money is available to clubs, although they must be 501(c)(3).
- The meeting adjourned at 8:58 p.m.
Web Page Created by Graeme Shirley