San Diego-Imperial Athletics Congress
Balboa Park Hall of Champions
December 14, 1988
- President Ken Bernard called the meeting to order at 7:15 p.m. In addition to the President and Secretary, the attendees were Dale Fleet, Linda Gorman, Jeff Rigdon, Bill Stock, and Judy Stolpe.
- The Board approved the minutes of the meeting of October 19.
- The President gave the Treasurer's report. The checking account balance was $13,130.70 while the certificates of deposit were another $16,000.
- The President provided an overview of the national convention, including a discussion of changes to the Rules of Competition.
- Stolpe reported on her participation in discussions with the City on the proposed Special Events Ordinance. She stated her opinion that the effect of the ordinance would be to squeeze non-profit organizations out of race sponsorship, since for-profit organizations which would share revenue with the City would have priority. A coalition of charitable and service non-profit organizations has formed in opposition.
The members unanimously approved a motion by Stolpe for SDIAC to draft a letter to the Public Services and Safety Committee opposing any action on the measure until the non-profit groups have been heard.
- Gorman reported on the SDIAC Junior Olympics Cross Country Championships. 97 competed.
- Stock summarized activities during the year by the Masters Committee, and reported the success of the La Jolla Girls Cross Country team at SDCIF and CIF.
- Rigdon reported good attendance at the Track and Field Officials clinics.
- The Secretary announced that Rei Yamada and Joni Pendleton won the 1988 SDIAC Challenge Series (nee Grand Prix), earning the Bill Gookin and Donna Gookin awards.
- The members selected the major award winners for 1988 as listed on the next page.
- With no objections, the members deferred elections of officers and naming of committee chairmen to the February meeting.
- The meeting adjourned at 10:30 p.m.
Web Page Created by Graeme Shirley